Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My Turn to Vent

Ok so I haven't really had my venting on here yet, but tonight was a good one. I had spent over an hour and a half in the kitchen fixing up a nice tofu/veggie delight over rice. Then I made my own sweet and sour sauce from scratch (and a little help of the internet). I was so freakingly proud of my dinner. The sauce tasted like restaurant quality and I was so excited about sharing it with my hubby. When he comes on break I get all happy and begin sharing how he is really going to like this meal. He responds with. "How much butter and fat did you use?" I mean how incredibly insensitive. I was literally crushed. I flared back with, "Why do you have to do that. You are always hurting peoples feeling with your comments. Help yourself or get your own dinner." Just recently my hubby found out his colesterol is high and has to be on meds for 3 months till they check it again. The only thing the meal had in it was a bit of olive oil. I am trying so hard to make nice and creative dinners and be health conscience. My hubby didn't even go and pick up his meds from the doctor yet. Does he not care about the rest of us? He isn't taking this health thing seriously and I am concerned. I love him very much and want him around for a long time, but I don't get why he won't get on the same page with me. Maybe I should only cook for myself. But when I do that the hubby will just eat junk. So very very frustrating. I had a perfectly happy day and now I feel like ____. Maybe there won't be any getting it on tonight. Thanks for letting me share and vent. I do feel a tad better.

5 comments:

tiffany said...

Sorry you had a rough day. Sometimes boys just don't get it. Keep on doing what you do.

maybe strawberry said...

Sorry about that wendy. We all know very well, remo’s issue of blurting things out before thinking. He should have thanked you for your hard work in the kitchen and your thoughtfulness instead. And we also know remo’s desire for being healthy and the extreme changes to try to eat better whenever he experiences scary health symptoms—and his failures to try to keep these extreme changes. And I am not trying to put him down, because I know I probably have failed just as much as he has—trying to eat healthier is a very difficult thing for me. I think remo is trying to take his health seriously, especially if he asked you how much butter was used in the recipe. Unfortunately he does not know (or forgot) what a great and HEALTHY baker/cook you have become. As for the meds, I think in general our society is overmedicated-usually meds mask the symptoms but don’t take care or heal the root problem. I know with some people meds are the only way to lower cholesterol—but for remo, I don’t think so. I know that remo can eat a gallon of ice cream for a meal (and I have been known to do that too) and eat Pringles all day. I think remo should really think about what he eats primarily before taking the drugs. And I admire you for caring for your family by preparing such healthy meals.

Mama Bear said...

I'm sorry Wendy!! I think guys lack that sensitivity gene or the think before you speak gene because no matter how many times you tell them, it happens over and over.

sunshine said...

Thanks guys. I agree that drugs should only be used in extreme cases when nothing else is working. I will keep doing what I do. I think my hubby will eventually see that healthier eating can be fun. There are lots of alternatives that are quite yummy. We all should just be a support to one another. I do love my chubby hubby!

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Depends on the drug...most cardiologists take statins, for instance, PREVENTIVELY because they work so well at preventing atherosclerosis...I don't know what Remo was prescribed, but I think he should follow his doctors advice! As for insensitivity, I think men are just different than women and we should remember that when dealing with and not take everything so personally...ever read Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus? It's a good book!